Monday, November 9, 2009

Quality Friendship (2 Corinthians 6)

When I was in studying at Burnaby Campus, I didn't made much non-Christian friends.
There were probably very few whom I know that are unbelievers.
When I came to Surrey Campus to study, I discover that I made friends a lot easier.
Mainly is because I stayed in the games room hanging out with new non-Christian friends and getting to know who they are.
Playing video games with them is not necessarily a sin, but it depends on your own circumstance.
Are you obsess with games? Does it cause you to get addicted to it?
I did got kind of into the games in it and wanted to play with them whenever I had the time.
Spending time with them gave me a newer view of the world.
Bad language, rude and impolite comments, hazing others, and many more.
Today, I had the chance to understand them more.
Went to the pub to eat chicken wings and drinking beer.
Don't worry, I only took a sip and that was all.
For your information, I always thought drinking was a sin, but reading through the Bible made me understand more of what is sin and what is not sin.
First of all, Jesus drank wine at the wedding banquet in the beginning of Luke, so I believe it is alright for me to drink wine.
Paul warned us not to be drunk on wine, but be filled with the Spirit.
Paul also told Timothy to drink a little wine to sooth his stomach and illnesses because I think the water were contaminated?? Need to look up on that.
Anyhow, I kind of understand their personality and how they are living their lives.
One thing that kind gets me intimated is when one of them asked me to go clubbing on Wednesday.
One of them also asked me to smoke pot when him on Friday.
Of course, I know what to say when it comes to being tempted to sin: NO!
As representing as God's children, I will not be yoked together with unbelievers.
Some people might think that this verse talks about marriage, but it is in-depth.
First of all, it is the communion that we have.
I like what one of the commentary said:
 "In stated relations. It is wrong for good people to join in affinity with the wicked and profane; these will draw different ways, and that will be galling and grievous. Those relations that are our choice must be chosen by rule; and it is good for those who are themselves the children of God to join with those who are so likewise; for there is more danger that the bad will damage the good than hope that the good will benefit the bad."
THEREFORE, "since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." 2 Corinthians 7:1

No comments:

Post a Comment