Thursday, May 2, 2013

Learn Christian Truth; Resist False Teaching

What a timely season to be blogging this entry. From May to July, I will again be teaching Sunday school. The last time I taught Sunday school was last summer. There were few Sundays where I was a substitute teacher while I was not teaching due to my business with school.

Spiritual Warfare is the topic that I have chosen to teach. The selected passage would be the Armor of God found in Ephesians 6:10-20. It does not matter what age group you are in, what gender you are, what race you are, what language you speak, or what education level you have, you will encounter spiritual attack from the enemy such as Satan and his demonic host.

As Christians, we need to be discerning and mindful of our surroundings lest we be deceived due to our naivety and ignorance. I am currently reading my textbook and I reached to an amazing point made by J. C. Ryle that I thought I would like to share with you. It does not focus on spiritual attack completely, but it does talk about false teaching (which may lead to spiritual attack...you can read Revelation 13 to see how Satan, False Teachers and the Anti-Christ work together):
You live in a world where your soul is in constant danger. Enemies are around you on every side. Your own heart is deceitful. Bad examples are numerous. Satan is always labouring to lead you astray. Above all false doctrine and false teacher of every kind abound. This is your great danger. 
To be safe you must be well armed. You must provide yourself with the weapons which God has given you for your help. You must store your mind with Holy Scripture. This is to be well armed.  
Armed yourself with a thorough knowledge of the written word of God....Neglect your Bible and nothing that I know of can prevent you from error if a plausible advocate of false teaching shall happen to meet you....You are the man that is unlikely to become established in the truth. I shall not be surprised to hear that you are troubled with doubts and questions about assurance, grace, faith, perseverance, etc....I shall not wonder if I am told that you have problems in your marriage, problems with your children, problems about the conduct of your family and about the company you keep. The world you steer through is full of rocks, shoals and sandbanks. You are not sufficiently familiar either with lighthouses or charts....You are the man who is likely to be carried away by some false teacher for a time. It will not surprise me if I hear that one of these clever eloquent men who can make a convincing presentation is leading you into error. You are in need of ballast (truth); no wonder if you are tossed to and fro like a cork on the waves.
In the future, I hope to complete an entry called "Ways To Shipwreck Your Faith". And I think by not consistently being in God's Word and cultivating our relationship with Him, we will run into a lot of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment