Monday, April 6, 2009

A Vow

Is it wrong to break promises that you've made?
Is it wrong to break what you've commited to God?

When I say promises or commitment, I meant everything that you've vowed to God.

Serving in ministry can be tough when a person steps out of that ministry that he/she has commited.

When we first want to serve a ministry, there's a vow that needs to be commited.

It's like signing a contract with God.

Most people may misinterpret the contract.

You're not signing it for the person, you're signing it for God.

For example, "I commit to myself to serve this ministry for one year."

And less than one year, that person steps out.

So what is that person's point of serving when he/she steps out?

Is it because to do a little for God's kingdom and leave?
 That's not really pleasing God if you just leave.

I had a Chinese Intern Pastor, whom I started to look up to before he left.

He only had four months to serve at my church.

In those four months, he worked day and night to make this ministry happen.

He wanted the people in the congregation to experience God.

It is an important thing.

It did happen.

Brothers and Sisters adore he and his wife for serving God gratefully.

Never did they had the mind  to leave the church.

But his time was up and God was calling him to another place to serve.

Reflecting back to the Old Testament...

The books of Leviticus and Numbers have several references to vows in relation to offerings and sacrifices.

There were consequences for the Israelites who made and broke vows, especially vows to God.

Perhaps this is why Jesus gave a new commandment concerning vows.

Matthew 5:33-37

"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No ,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."

Just to clarify some thoughts here, vow and commitment are different.

"I vow to commit this" is different from just wanting to commit for God.

I can say I promise to God that I will serve this ministry for a year.

I know that the readers are wondering why I am posting this.

Some of the readers might know that my church has a ministry called Awana.

Leaders are stepping out of Awana right now.

I totally don't know why.

I don't get it.

The only excuse I got is, "I'm busy on that day, so I don't think I am able to be there."

When I hear that, I felt very discouraged.

So what are there purpose in life?

Prosperity?

John and I were talking about it today.

Yes, I am very discourage knowing that few leaders are already stepping out.

Stepping out probably means not commited to serve God UNLESS God has a plan for them.

However, like I said, their excuse is just a simple word: busy.

Now, there is one female leader serving in one program called Sparks(kindergarden - grade 2 or 3?)

I don't want to lose her too because it is a lot of work.

But I forgive them.

If we have made a vow foolishly and realized we cannot or should not keep it, we should confess it to God, knowing that He is “faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

A broken vow, while serious, is not an unforgivable matter if taken to the Lord in true confession.

God will not hold us to vows made imprudently, but He expects us to obey Jesus and refrain from making vows in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Yup God takes covenants and vows very seriously.If we make a vow, we shodul be faithful to them cus God is faithful w/ ALL covenants he made.if you want to be faithful to your covenants with God, go study how Faithful GOd is to us in His covenants with people (exodus and numbers). Cus we only know how to be faihtful by experiencing the faithfulness of God first and reflecting it. if its too much to hold on to the end, there's grace...

    ReplyDelete