Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 20 – How important you think education is

Let's me slowly unpack where I am from. The importance of education rises in the Asian family. Asian parents have this tendency to be freakishly obsess of having their children earn high grades in school. I know some of my friends have those kind of parents. If you're an Asian, especially Chinese, then you'll probably know what I am talking about. Of course, parents also care about the child, but usually it feels like they care about the grades more. It is also a pride issue within parents. The better their children are at school, the more they would boast about them to their friends. Consequently, it affects the children's self-esteem. Personally, my mom would always compare me with someone else's child. It deeply frustrates me because she thinks I'm not good enough or disappointed in me.

However, I believe education is important because it prepares you to work in the industry. I do not blame my mom for being so critical about me because I know she wants the best for me. Even without education, you could still work at a low pay job yet work really hard. Usually people who graduates with a University degree doesn't always get them the job they want. Moreover, people who has a University degree (i.e. Psychology, Physics) don't pursue what they study. I find that kind of odd sometimes. Overall, education is important in some degree. You not only study and get a job, you learn to interact with your fellow classmates and build friendships or network connections. Ultimately, it is not education that can help you succeed in life. Do they teach you wisdom (maybe some)? Do they teach how to treat others better (maybe)? Some may even use education for the bad purpose.

Public Education does not always help answer deep questions like "What is my purpose in life? Why am I here?"

 

3 comments:

  1. I blog because it is the only way I can market the contest I am in. So far, it has worked marvelously for me! I have gone from 656th place to 10th place! I am hoping to get about 2000 more votes!

    I am networking to get some help…

    Hi! My name is Hallie and I have entered a Savvy Magazine photo shoot contest. I know you don’t know me but the winners are chosen by the public and if the public doesn’t know they need to vote…well, you guessed it, no one votes! Could you take a moment and look at my photos and decide if you would vote for me or not?

    There are over 1000 of us trying to get to those top ten positions. If you don’t think I am top ten material scroll through the small icons to the right of mine and pick one of those ladies! One little click of your finger can help make somebodies dream a reality! You can vote once a day, everyday until January 1st! Thank You!

    http://www.exploremodeling.com/Casting/SavvySpring2011/46935/Hallie_Miller.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreee!!!! I so agree! Thank you! I always hated it when my mom compared me and she just had to put in me in everything this kid was enrolled in!

    By the way, have you blogged about what you think is the purpose of life? I'll be interested in reading that =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Iris! Yes, I think the question you proposed is difficult to answer in life. I will remember to post an entry regarding that question :)

    God Bless,
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete