Thursday, June 12, 2014

Perceiving New Things


The Bible contains God's Word, which is filled with treasure and wisdom. God's Word is "living and active" according to Hebrews 4:12. God's Word is breathed out according to 2 Timothy 3:16.

I have read through the Bible, cover-to-cover and word-for-word, a couple of times. The amazing thing about the Bible is that you will never stop learning something new. And today, I am very humbled and astonished to read a text from the New Testament and notice something that I have never took notice before.

I am currently reading through the Gospels in chronological order by using a plan with the Psalms. I encountered a text that I have overlooked, which is Matthew 17:24-27. I was tense, filled with curiosity with what this text was saying. There were deep questions as to what this text says and what it means. I want to find out and I want to understand. After doing a brief study, I was filled with worship and praise to God for pointing out something new to me, when I have read through it many times without noticing what it is saying.

I think Christians do that very often. I heard a story of a little kid at my church who knows the story of the Bible. She might be tired of learning the story that she's familiar with. 

Today, I am greatly moved to learn that a sense of the familiar can sometimes blind us from the things that God wants to show us. So it's an encouraging and a challenging thing to put off our familiarity and read the Bible as if it's your first time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment