Thursday, June 27, 2013

Hosea


The prophetic books in the Bible are usually difficult to apprehend. When reading it, there may be a lot of images that speak to certain nations about their future. I personally find prophetic books to be difficult to understand, especially Ezekiel. I haven't done any study on those books, but I do hope to study those books in the future. I am currently reading through the whole Bible in prior to the Biblical Theology class that I will be taking in the 1st and 2nd week of July.

I just finished reading the book of Hosea, and I sense the Spirit is urging me to share it. Before reading it, I do remember that the book is about Hosea marrying a prostitute called Gomer. Gomer cheated and committed adultery and whoredom on Hosea. This marriage pictures or symbolizes God's relationship with Israel. 

Israel (the Northern Kingdom) was at the brim of destruction by the Assyrians. Israel was in a chaotic period filled with disorder, bloodshed and strife (2 Kings 14-17). Israel has broken covenant with God and showed unfaithfulness to Him. Despite of that, God is still a covenant-keeper and still loved them. 

Three themes to take note of when you read Hosea:

1.) Unfaithfulness
2.) Repentance
3.) The loving-kindness of God

Hope you will find time to read this book! I absolutely love the very last verse of Hosea because the principle is timeless. 
Whoever is wise, let him understand these things;
whoever is discerning, let him know them;
for the ways of the Lord are right,
and the upright walk in them,
but transgressors stumble in them (Hosea 14:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment