Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Reading List

I am a reader. A geek or a nerd who likes to read. The book that I can read and study forever is the Bible. Aside from the Bible, I also read Christian books from time to time. Not just any ordinary Christian books, but books that are Gospel-centered and Bible-based. Additionally, books that are philosophical and apologetic. There are many Christian books out there, but a lot of them are garbage. How do I know? You can always walk around the bookstores, such as Chapters, and go to the Christianity section and pick up any random book from there and read the content and what it is about. Or you can always browse through the internet, such as amazon, to find books. Teaching Christians how to live the Christian life is especially popular with regards to books. Books that teach Christians how to live, how to be a better you, how to be successful, how to be victorious, and etc.

To be fair, I do have few of those books, but I got them for free. Through careful studies of Scripture and advises from godly men that I look up to, books that do not reference Scripture and point to the Gospel need to be avoided. (Romans 16:17-18)

+Tim Challies offered 5 helpful questions when reading books. And I hope that you would carefully discern which books to read before you buy them. 

In 2012, I am blessed to read through a couple of books, and some that I am still currently tackling through. 

Archer and The Arrow: Preaching the Very Words of God by Jensen, Phillip D.; Grimmond, Paul
This is a book on preaching. 

A chronological exposition (on certain passages) to the Gospel of Mark.

Understanding the world (Greco-Roman World) in which Paul lived in, how his letters were written, and how he developed his theology. The writing is at an academic level.

Vintage Jesus: Timeless Answers to Timely Questions by Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears 
Driscoll and Breshears answer questions about Jesus from the current pop culture.

This was one of the books I should have discerned before buying it. Some parts are good and helpful, some parts are too explicit, and some parts I disagree with how to counsel people about the topic.

This textbook is currently my focus on reading and studying with regards to Doctrine.

Jesus + Nothing = Everything by Tullian Tchividjian
The author navigates our focus back on the gospel in our walk with Jesus. The author chose the book of Colossians to explain the power of the Gospel. He shows that Jesus is everything in your life, not just part of your life. It is either Jesus is everything or He is nothing. Highly recommended.


There are still many books on my shelf that I still have not touch yet. As a book worm, I usually look for more books to read in the future. Given that school is starting soon, I won't have much time to read the books that I buy, and God is teaching me to be content with what I currently have. I want to share a four books that I want to get in the future.





Here's a video that I want to share before I end this post:


No comments:

Post a Comment