Wednesday, February 15, 2012

He Must Increase, but Lin Must Decrease

When I was in high school, I started picking up basketball and played three years of intramural basketball. I wasn't very good at it, but practicing with my friends paid off a bit. I enjoyed shooting hoops and I practiced my 3-points shot a lot. When it comes to actually playing in a real game, my confidence decreases (it happened in high school). Nonetheless, I do miss playing basketball. When I try playing again, the result of it would lead me to having blisters on my foot. The last time I played basketball was during my missions trip. It brought back a lot of memories, but the skills that I had were pretty much gone.

For the past 12 days, the rising of the NBA point-guard player, Jeremy Lin, leads the New York Knicks to 7 straight victory. Sports center and media around the world are noticing this young talented player. It's an uproar because a lot of people are talking about him, even my mom. It's the internet viral! He's been called "Lin-Sanity". After watching many of his games, I get excited watching the NBA again because I get to see my brother and soldier in Christ fighting hard for the glory of God as an NBA player. I'm very happy for Jeremy in what he's doing.

However, let's not forget why he's doing this. After post-games and interviews, he would praise Jesus Christ. Indeed, it is for the glory of God. Also, remember that he is proclaiming the name of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to the world! Just like the time when John the Baptist although he wasn't an NBA player, but he was a prophet, a messenger, whom a lot of people knew and looked up to. He baptized a lot of people and proclaim, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." The priests and the Levites asked if he was the Christ, but he confessed that he was not. He exalts Jesus Christ in John 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease."  John the Baptist was a messenger who was preparing the way of the Lord.

Jeremy Lin has been an encouragement and inspiration to a lot of people in the world. I believe that Lin strives to make Jesus known to the media and sports network. He's a team player and not a selfish player. He's very bold despite a lot oppositions are coming along his way, but may we, as Christians, continue to pray for him that he would continue his spiritual warfare against the evil one by the power of the Holy Spirit, that he would humble himself before God and fight against the perils of pride, and that God would use him mightily for His kingdom and His glory.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment