Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Winter Conference 10/11 - Your Love Never Fails (PT.1)







This will be my first entry of 2011, and I am very excited to share my Winter Conference experience with everybody who reads this blog. Winter Conference is an annual conference hosted by Campus For Christ. This conference trains students to help the lost students discover Jesus through seminar, the day of Evangelism, fellowship with brothers and sisters, and the speaker in the main session. This would be my 4th Winter Conference that I had attended. Personally, I would consider this to be the best Winter Conference experience I had ever since my 1st Winter Conference.

My friends asked me, "What so great about this year?"

Here are three highlights or points that I took away from this Conference.

1.) When people see me, I want them to be reminded of Christ.
2.) Make imprints on campus, the nations, and the world that would count for eternity.
3.) Dream Big.

1.) When people see me, I want them to be reminded of Christ.

1 John 3:16-18 "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

This passage really struck me when I ponder throughout Conference. What have I been doing with myself through the years? What kind of impression am I leaving when people see me? "How can the love of God be in him?" This sentence convicted me. Have I been loving?

2.) Make imprints on campus, the nations, and the world that would count for eternity.

We have limited amount of time on campus. Some students may stay 4-7 years in University. However, the time on campus can be very valuable. Let me ask you a question: "Before you graduate, what significant imprints do you want to leave on campus that could count for eternity?" As I was in Calgary, I was very encouraged with the men who wanted to go out for evangelism during our free time and night time. This is a totally new experience for me at WC. It started out with 5 men. Later on, more brothers and sisters came along with us. We went to a small Asian mall to evangelize. Me, Alan, and Wayland walked up to a group of high school students. We talked to them, but it felt kind of awkward for them. Three of them have Christian or Catholic background, and one is not religious. We asked them questions based on what their beliefs, and we shared the gospel with them. We prayed for them hoping that they understood what we talked about (they nodded their heads). We walked away and turned our back, and we noticed we got fingered by one of them. It is where their heart is at. I do pray that the seeds that we've planted, it not land anywhere but good soil although it is God who does the work in them.

Alan and I approached a shop owner who sold anime models and toy figures. His name was also Tommy. Interestingly enough, I told him that Tommy means "seeker of the truth". This created an interesting transition to a spiritual conversation. He was familiar with God and Jesus because he went to a Catholic elementary school. There was a bit of a language barrier, but by God's grace and empowerment of the Holy Spirit, I did my best to explain and articulate the gospel message to him. As Alan and I shared with him, I believed God was working in his heart. He shared about his grandmother's sickness. We both understand him situation. In love, I shared God's love to him: He died for his and our sins. That those who receive Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. Was he willing to receive Him? I do not know because salvation comes from God. Alan and I prayed for him and his grandmother. After praying, he had tears in his eyes. I didn't want to leave the store empty-handed, so I bought One Piece action figure.

Alan and I got very closed together in just one day of evangelism. It seemed like our bondage as brothers grew stronger as we went out for sharing. When I went evangelism in the past with someone, we didn't become as close like this one. Alan is just a 1st year student and he has a strong passion for God. He shared with me a bit of his past sins, and so did I. He and I went out a lot for evangelism and stayed together most of the time. Of course, we had more significant moments to share, but I believe the 1st two are some of the good moments we shared because it was our 1st time-sharing together. I hope to see him at UBC and go out and proclaim the name of Jesus.

We only had 4 days in Calgary. While I was in Calgary in a VERY limited amount of time, why not go out for evangelism and bless the city of the message of grace? Same thing with our campus, the nation, and the world. Our time is limited. Wherever God is calling us to go, we are all called to fulfill the Great Commission. Whether if it's at our workplace or our campus or wherever you are...go out and make disciples =) Take that faith step and let God do the rest.

3.) Dream Big

During conference, I was reminded to live a life with a purpose. I do have a dream, not the american dream...but a dream that gives glory to God. I signed up for East Asia Project, and I am praying to see what God will do this summer within my own life. Furthermore, if God wills, then I would love to go back to Hong Kong and minister to the culture there. It's been around 4 months ever since I felt God called me back to Hong Kong. It's be desire to go back and minister to the Chinese culture, and leading them to Jesus culture. Personally, I feel that Chinese people have two main issues: Pride and Gossip. Whatever God wants me to do there, then I will gladly serve Him over there.

Overall, this WC was a blessing. With many things to share and many things I learned, I want to take it back to Vancouver and put it into practice. I do have lots to share, but I will stop this entry here because it has gotten too long. If you have read this, then I hope that you're encouraged as well. =)

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you enjoyed your time at wintercon.
    God does great things if you are willing to step out of your comfortzone to care for the lost.
    our time here is very limited, but there is much we can do to glorify Him.
    If we want to glorify God we have to be willing to be where God is, and where God's present is amongst the least, the poor and broken the dark places. It is easy to do an easy chat with random people but what you did, praying for the hardships of the model store owner, is in accord of the Lord's work to bring upon comfort to the distressed. (blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted).

    Continue to be instruments of comfort for the Lord. He will use you if He wills you to serve in East asia. Chinese people have great accomplishemnts but are very empty ont he inside. they have achieved many things but the people are grey on the inside. grey and empty and turn to empty things to satisify their emptiness.

    May the Lord prepare you in the coming months as he readies you for east asia.

    by the way, it may be helpful for you to learn their language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across this in my curiosity on wc. It is touching and allow me to see how powerful it can be. Thanks for the posting!

    ReplyDelete